Black and White Darkroom
Current Instructors: Carolyn DeMeritt
Cost: $275 Members, $325 Non Members
In our Black and White Darkroom classes, beginners will start with the basics of film shooting and build their skills from there. We even have 35mm cameras here to loan out if you don’t have your own. You’ll learn how to load film in your camera, receive tips for shooting manually, develop your own negatives, print contact sheets, and then ultimately experience the magic of watching your prints come to life in the darkroom.
Once you’ve become more advanced, you’ll take your printing skills to the next level. From 35mm to medium-format to large-format, the goal of this class is to work toward perfecting every single print you make. This includes processing film, creating contact sheets, printing enlargements, using filters, and learning how to dodge and burn. If analog is your thing, we’re confident you won’t be disappointed.
. . .
- Learn film camera basics, including key terms and concepts
- Refine your printing skills and define your personal vision
- Develop your own negatives
- Print your own prints in the darkroom
- Receive in-class critiques from the instructor
- Grow more comfortable with equipment and chemistry
- A film camera
- The manual for the camera (if you have it)
- Negatives to develop
- RC or fiber paper for image printing
- A journal or notebook
. . .
Please note: Classes need a minimum of four students to run; the decision to run a class is made 48 hours in advance of the start date. In the event of a class cancellation, enrollment fees can be refunded or maintained as a credit towards a future class of your choice.
[ student IMAGES top to bottom ]
White Church (button)