Discover the joy of photography while learning how to master your camera.
In this 4 week hands-on course, you will be immediately immersed in photography and will learn how to utilize your camera’s technical settings with ease. Anyone can put a digital camera on auto and get acceptable pictures. This class will help you to use all the technology your camera has to offer so you can make images that go beyond snapshots to express your personal vision. You will:
- Start with an assignment that helps you to use light and composition to begin to extend your vision
- You will master the creative controls of exposure and practice with another assignment to apply what you have learned
- This will include using shutter speed to express motion and using aperture to create dramatic selective focus
- You will complete three assignments outside of class and two assignments in class
- The best part of these assignments is the feedback you will receive from your instructor and other students.
Bring a digital single lens reflex (DSLR) camera or a mirrorless camera (with manual controls), the manual for the camera and at least one empty and formatted memory card for your camera. It is recommended that you bring a journal or notebook!
Instructors: Michael O’Neill, Dick Handshaw
**Classes need a minimum of 4 students to run; decision to run a class is made 48hrs in advance of the start date. In the event of class cancellation, enrollment fees can be refunded or maintained as a credit towards a future class of your choice.**
“Getting me to pull out my camera and actually break down how exposure factors interact, and then bring photos to life and show what is possible, was so valuable in this course.”
“I thought the introduction to photography class was great! Reviewing the basics -shutter speed, aperture and ISO were exactly what I needed to refresh my skills that I learned from a film class I took many years ago. The instructor’s professional experience, information and his way of delivering information in an easy, understandable and relatable manner were the icing on the cake.”
“I would say my expectations were exceeded. I was amazed at the improvement in my photos and really felt passionate about it by the end of my session.”